HBO’s Game Of Thrones, Netflix’s Stranger Things and Disney+’s The Mandalorian were among the winners at Parrot Analytics’ second Annual Global TV Demand Awards here at NATPE in Miami.
The HBO series was named Most In-Demand TV Series in the World for 2019 and also took the trophy for Most In-Demand Drama Series in the World, while Stranger Things was acknowledged as Most In-Demand Digital Original.
The awards, which use Parrot’s ‘demand expressions’ measurement to calculate the interest in TV programming around the world, also recognised Disney+’s recently launched drama The Mandalorian, which won for the Most In-Demand Series Debut of 2019.
A special Global Iconic Demand Award was also presented by Meredith Vieria (25 Words Or Less, The View) to David Crane and Marta Kauffman, co-creators of the TV series Friends, in acknowledgement of its enduring popularity around the world.
“The fact that this award reflects the continued global popularity of Friends makes us prouder than even Parrot Analytics could calculate,” said Crane, who collected the award on behalf of the duo.
“It’s been over 25 years since we started the show. That we’re still a part of the conversation is more than we could ever have imagined.”
The awards, which were hosted by Queer Eye’s Carson Kressley, capture social media engagement, video streaming and peer-to-peer protocols, photo sharing, blogging, and research platforms to create a single ‘demand measurement’ metric. The winners were determined based on demand data from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019.
For the full list of winners, see below:
1. Most In-Demand TV Show in the World: Game Of Thrones
2. Most In-Demand Digital Original in the World: Stranger Things
3. Most In-Demand Drama Series in the World: Game Of Thrones
4. Most In-Demand Comedy Series in the World: The Big Bang Theory
5. Most In-Demand Documentary Series in the World: Planet Earth
6. Most In-Demand Variety Series in the World: The Daily Show
7. Most In-Demand Reality Series in the World: The Voice
8. Most In-Demand Series Debut in the World: The Mandalorian
9. Most In-Demand Superhero Series in the World: The Flash
10. Most In-Demand Export from Latin America: La Rosa De Guadalupe
11. Most In-Demand Export from Asia: One Punch Man
12. Most In-Demand Export from Europe: Peaky Blinders