Gary Knell

New CEO to succeed Moore at National Geographic Partners

National Geographic Society (NGS) boss Gary Knell will be the next CEO of National Geographic Partners (NGP). He will succeed Declan Moore, who has the run the business since its inception two years ago. NGP came into being in September 2015 when 21st Century Fox took control of its programming joint venture with NGS, which […]

Massive job cuts at Nat Geo after Fox deal

National Geographic is axing almost 10% of its 2,000 staff, just months after Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox took control of the 127-year-old organisation. Around 180 staff – about 9% of the total workforce – will be affected by the cuts, which followed Fox paying US$725 million to take majority control of a new venture, […]

Fox takes control of Nat Geo JV

21st Century Fox has taken majority control of its National Geographic Channels joint venture. The Murdoch-controlled media group has paid joint venture partner The National Geographic Society US$725 million to take its percentage of the business up to 73%. Previously a 50-50 JV, NGS will now own the remaining 27%. The resulting venture will be […]

David Lyle exits Nat Geo, new CEO installed

National Geographic Channels is replacing CEO David Lyle with its domestic networks’ chief marketing officer Courteney Monroe. Lyle (pictured) is following Nat Geo president Howard T. Owens out of the door, following news of his departure yesterday. His replacement, Monroe, has been in charge of Nat Geo’s domestic marketing since January 2012 and will take […]