Roberto Escobar was the drug tycoon’s account, claims has trademarked his family name in California through Escobar Inc. and built his own tourism business around the Colombian town of Medellin, where the Escobar cartel was based before Pablo was killed in 1993.
The surviving Escobar has written to Netflix with his concerns and financial claims over Narcos, which portrays Pablo and the cartel’s rise to prominence.
“I am submitting a formal, friendly request to review this material solely on an informational basis,” he said. “It is depicting me, my life, my family and my brother. I think nobody else in the world is alive to determine the validity of the materials, but me.
“This is a friendly request for cooperation – all we want is to make sure things are done right,” said Escobar in a statement issue through his Escobar Inc. company. “I hope you are not profiting from my show, and if you are I ask you to share some profits with us.”
Netflix’s series is broadly based on accounts of the cartel’s history, but Roberto Escobar has previously claimed it is inaccurate, and has now said his brother “would not have liked season one”.
With a second season being readied, Escobar said: “Maybe he will enjoy season two if you respond to me and we solve these issues.” He wants to review the episodes before they are launched to Netflix’s international subscriber base on September 2.
“We tried to contact Netflix after we had registered the rights to Pablo, prior to Narcos being released, with no response,” said Escobar Inc. CEO Olof K. Gustafsson. “I think it is important that they recognise Roberto Escobar’s wishes to review the show they are putting out, ensuring the family and viewers of an accurate portrayal of Pablo and Roberto.”
Gaumont Television produces and distributes Narcos.