Who Wants to be a Millionaire? is the most popular gameshow in the world according to ratings analysis carried out by TBI. This comes twelve years after the show’s launch on ITV in the UK.
Compiling a list of the most-watched gameshows across the world’s major TV territories was almost like creating a gameshow format in itself. Using data from France-based audience measurement specialists Mediametrie, TBI set about calculating which quizzes, tests and game-based formats were pulling in the most eyeballs.
The final list is bound to contain a few surprises, but however the numbers were crunched there was one clear winner: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? The show was the runaway winner, with by far the highest ranking across the most countries.
It got a lot closer after that with hardly anything separating Wipeout and Wheel of Fortune in third and fourth. Similarly, there was very little between Hole in the Wall, Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader? and Jeopardy. Where shows were in equal position we counted the number of countries they were broadcast in and their cumulative audience share.
Seven of the top 10 started out on US networks with the others hailing from the UK or the Netherlands.
The top ten also shows the power of a small group of super distributors. Endemol, CBS Studios International and FremantleMedia dominated the list. Endemol took second and third spots with Deal or No Deal and Wipeout and the other two had two apiece. CBS Studios was unnusual in that its two entries, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are both over thirty years old. Those two aside, the only other show in the top 10 that was created before 2000 was the winner Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?, which started out in 1998.
An honourable mention should be given to the shows just outside the top ten. The likes of 1 vs. 100, The Whole 19 Yards, Superstars, Brainiest and Test the Nation were close to making the top ten and could make next year’s list.
The full list:
1. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? ITV (UK) 1998 Sony Pictures TV
2. Deal or No Deal Nederland 2 2002 Endemol
3. Wipeout ABC (US) 2008 Endemol
4. Wheel of Fortune NBC (US) 1975 CBS Studios International
5. Family Feud ABC (US) 1976 FremantleMedia
6. Don’t Forget The Lyrics Fox (US) 2007 RDF Rights
7. Hole in the Wall Fox (US) 2008 FremantleMedia
8. Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? Fox (US) 2007 Mark Burnett Prods
9. Jeopardy NBC (US) 1964 CBS Studios International
10. I Love My Country RTL4 (Netherlands) 2008 Talpa Media
Endemol Shine Group seeks $4bn sale https://t.co/ZgZYvCYgyk
20 June 2018 @ 12:15:00 UTC